With gifting season in full swing, our friends in Guatemala sent us a few pounds of Macadamia nuts grown alongside the coffee plants on their farm. After snacking on a few from the bags, we knew what we had to do.
Resident chef and head of R&D, Peter Turso, used these fresh Macadamia nuts in his own spin on traditional white chocolate cookies. We shared them at the office as we decorated for the Christmas season. They were so delicious that we wanted to share the recipe with you!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-White Sugar scant half cup ( 105 grams)
-Dark Brown Sugar 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp (192g)
-Unsalted Butter (Melted) 1/2 cup (112grams)
-Salt 1/2 tsp
-1 whole egg
-Vanilla extract 2 tsp (5g)
-AP flour 1 1/2 cup (200g)
-Baking soda 1/2 tsp
-White Chocolate coarse chop bar 7oz
-Macadamia nuts coarse chop or broken 1 cup
1) Place flour, Baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk or sift to combine all. Set aside.
2) In separate bowl, combine white and brown sugar and whisk to combine
3) Add melted butter to the sugar mixture and whisk until well combined and color changes
4) Add the whole egg and emulsify.
5) Add yolk and vanilla extract and continue to emulsify.
6) Add 1/2 of the four and mix to combine, follow with the remaining half.
7) Fold in the nuts and chocolate
8) Wrap finished dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
9) Bake on parchment 70 grams for large cookies 50 grams for small cookies
10) Half way through the baking process, open the oven, lift cookie sheet 1 inch off rack and drop to deflate and flatten. Repeat this process 2-3 times.
11) Remove cookies when a rich golden brown is reached (approximately 12 minutes).
12) When just out of the oven, fleck cookie with a small kiss of Pink Himalayan sea salt.
13) Cool on rack and enjoy with your favorite Afficionado coffee! We recommend the Guatemala Asdelflor.
If you enjoyed this recipe or tried it out for yourself, let us know! Follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook to stay up to date with our latest recipes and adventures.